It’s still hard to believe that we are REALLY in 2018. It sure feels like eons ago since I graduated from college. 2017 was an interesting year for me especially because I was (and still am) on a tight budget.
So, I thought it’ll be fun to share my favorite products from 2017 that I love and would buy again in a heartbeat. These are actual products I absolutely recommend and you will not believe how super affordable some of these products are. I’ve linked to the exact products that are still available and share similar products for those that are sold out.
MY BEST PURCHASES OF 2017
BEST PURCHASES OF 2017 – SHOES
- Tory Burch Adeline Boots – This is by far one of the best products I bought in 2017. I had seen this Tory Burch riding boots and similar styles in 2016. I just could not justify the price.
So I saved and waited and got them at almost 40% off during the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale in July. Although this was my spendiest purchase last year, the quality and versatility of this shoes cannot be rivaled.
Tory Burch Adeline Boots (sold out) | Tory Burch Ashlynn Riding Boot (very similar)
- Skechers Breathe Easy Sneakers – I can’t begin to tell you how comfortable this slip-on sneakers feel. The only other pair of sneakers I own was beginning to fall apart. I did not think much about getting a new one until my small toes started to hurt.
I wanted a pair of sneakers that was versatile enough to be worn with regular clothes, not bulky, had great support and kept my toes dry. This Skechers sneakers fit the bill – a sold 4.8 stars!. And the price was A-OK.
- The Fix Esmeralda Bow Slides – Newsflash! Amazon makes shoes too. I have a surplus of heels but not surprisingly my best shoe buys of 2017 happen to be flats. I don’t remember that last pair of slides I bought – it’s been that long! A particular pair of Gucci slides were all the rave last summer.
I knew that the Gucci slides were not an option but a pair of stylish statement slides would be perfect. I discovered this metallic beauty on Amazon and ordered it the very next day. There was some delivery issues which resulted in the slides going back to Amazon.
This just meant that I had to get them. So I ordered them again :) The slides is currently on sale black, dove, and silver metallic colors.
- Unisa Cayzea Bootie – Last and certainly not the least is this pair of block heels brocade booties. I like to think that I don’t get overly influenced by current trends. When I spotted the brocade bootie trend on social media, I thought to myself “I’ll pass!”.
The vintage-classic trend quickly grew on me and I justified this purchase as necessary since I donated all but one of the ankle booties I own. What can I say? I’m a millennial :D This particular Cayzea bootie is exclusive, I believe, to DSW.
BEST PURCHASES OF 2017 – CLOTHING
It wasn’t until the second half of the year that I bought a majority of my clothes. I waited for summer and did a huge wardrobe cleanse. All of my favorite clothing purchases from 2017 were from later in the year.
- Halogen Scallop Edge Sweater – This sweater was also a purchase I made during Nordstrom Anniversary Sale in July. I’ve been a little obsessed with scallop hem. With winter approaching I needed a few sweaters. This scallop sweater sold out in my size in the yellow color before I could check out.
So I settled on this burnt orange color. I had this sweater on repeat August through November before deciding to give it a break. The weather starts getting cold around mid-August in Alaska. The sweater is soft, comfortable and stylish. I just might wear it tomorrow! Unfortunately, the Halogen scallop sweater is sold out, but this Talbots Scallop-Edged Sweater is very similar and it is 60% off right now!
- Lark & Ro Scuba Leather Jacket – I’ve never worn a leather jacket as soft as this jacket. I’m surprised it only has a 3-star rating. I sized up to give me extra room to layer sweaters in the fall/winter. Definitely, a great decision as I’ve had to layer a few times to stay warm.
- Sloan Skinny-Fit Pants – I’ve always known that Banana Republic carries ah-ma-zing products. I never gave it much thought because we do not have a local BR in my area.
I tried on the Sloan pants based on a staff recommendation at the BR store in Anchorage and I was hooked. The fabric is soft and supple i.e. everything you need in a pair of pants.
- JJ Perfection Pullover Knit Sweater – This was an accidental love at first sight that I almost missed out on.
If you read my 10 Days Wearing Amazon Fashion you already know that Amazon offered to cancel my order and give me a refund because the seller had some delays in shipping the sweater. I chose to wait. This $20 sweater was a steal! Those boots and pants again #sorrynotsorry!
BEST PURCHASES OF 2017 – BEAUTY AND SKINCARE
You know that fashion is a big focus of this blog and so is beauty. I tried many skincare and beauty products in 2017. These are my absolute best beauty products of 2017.
- Olay Regenerist Whip Moisturizer – I a detailed review of the Olay Whips over in this post. It has become my go-to daytime moisturizer. I have combination oily skin. This product feels soft and lightweight, unlike any moisturizer I’ve ever used. Plus it smells heavenly! Check out my Olay Whips Reviews post for details.
- Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick / Lolita – I still remember the first time I tried the store sample KVD liquid lipstick in Lolita. It was the perfect nude color on my lips and I needed it. Sadly, that particular shade was out of stock – worst nightmare ever.
I added it to my favorites and fervently stalked Sephora website until I got an email informing me that it was back in stock. I loved it so much that I bought it again and then again.
I love that the KVD Everlasting Liquid Lipsticks are long-lasting without drying out your lips (I have dry lips). I use KVD Everlasting Lip Liner in color Hawkwind to line and define my lips. The perfect duo!
- Emax Design 20 Pieces Eyeshadow Brush Set – I’ve had the same eyeshadow brush set for the past few years. A replacement was long overdue but it was one of those things that was out of sight, out of mind. This professional set had amazing reviews on Amazon with a 4+ star-rating from over 2,000 people! At under $10, I was impressed with the quality of the brushes.
- Beauty Kate Makeup Brush Set – I noticed these toothbrush inspired makeup brush set flooding the beauty blogs and YouTube channels I follow. My makeup brushes were falling apart and one of them had broken a few weeks prior. So I figured, why not give these a try. The first few uses felt weird because you hold them differently than you hold standard brushes.
Now, I take this makeup brush set anywhere I go. Can’t believe how many brushes I received for the price (under $12). Check out this post for the top 10 makeup brush sets on Amazon under $15 If you’re ready for a new set (makes a great gift too).
- Esarora Brush Cleaning Mat and Drying Tower Set – I dreaded cleaning my brushes (gross, I know!) because it felt like a boring chore. I bought this brush cleaning mat and drying tower set about the same time the makeup brush set. This has been a total game changer!
The cleaning mat makes it super easy and kinda fun to wash my brushes. I use a tablespoon of dish soap and baby oil to wash and moisturize my brushes.
BEST PURCHASES OF 2017 – OTHER
- Amrita Singh Reversible Bib Necklace – I’ve been a big fan of Amrita Singh jewelry since a friend introduced me to the brand. I’ve rocked the reversible necklaces since my college days. They are a little pricey but you can score a deal when they are on sale.
They are durable and last a long time. The ones I finally decided to replace were 5 years old. They are currently on sale at the moment!
- Fitbit Blaze Smart Fitness Watch – I have gotten a great use out of my FitBit watch. It definitely helps me squeeze in a little bit of exercise and helps keep me active during the day. This definitely makes it harder to wear other watches when your Fitbit does a lot more than tell you the time.
I hope you enjoyed reading this post about my best purchases of 2017 and found it informative. As a blogger, I realize that some of my purchases may seem a little much but this is what I do – I try out products and share my findings/reviews with you so you can make the best decision. I do a closet purge once or twice a year and donate products I no longer have use for/could be of use to others.
Your tun! What was your absolute best purchases of 2017?