This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure for details.
Hello divas, I have been getting so many positive feedbacks from you guys about how you love my weekly blogging tips.
I’ve also received numerous requests about how to start a fashion blog. You’ll be surprised by how easy it is for you to start a fashion blog from start to finish in about 30 minutes on WordPress.
If you want to start a professional blog with the possibility of scaling from a hobby to a side income or career, I HIGHLY recommend you use WordPress.
While this tutorial is specifically for those interested in starting a fashion blog, this detailed guide can be followed by anyone looking to create a blog. It is super easy!
I started my journey on Blogger/Blogspot and honestly wished I had known better. Sure, there are a handful of unicorn fashion bloggers who are doing just fine on Blogger. But trust me, if you want to get recognized and discovered faster… you guessed right, WordPress is your best bet.
The learning curve on WordPress is steeper than Blogger, but the options on WordPress makes it so worth it.
There are only
4 3 steps are involved in starting your fashion blog on WordPress:
- Domain name registration + hosting
- Stress-free automatic installation of WordPress
- Install your favorite theme
AND create your first ever blog post!
A few things to note:
- Your domain name is your URL/blog address. For example, mine is www.lapassionvoutee.com. You can get your domain name for free when you get a Bluehost hosting plan.
- Your website which you access on WordPress is the content on your blog. For example, this blog post is a content on my blog. WordPress is free.
- Your hosting is where your store your blog. In this case, my host is Bluehost.
Through my affiliate link, you can start your blog with Bluehost for as low as
$7.99 $3.95! In addition, you will receive:
- A free blog domain name (with a 12-month or more hosting plan)
- Free site builders
- 1-Click WordPress Install &
- 24/7 Support from Bluehost
WHY I USE & RECOMMEND BLUEHOST
Bluehost is a super affordable way to start a fashion blog. I use Bluehost to host this blog and I have had a great experience with them so far. You also get 30 days money back guarantee if you decide blogging or Bluehost is not your thing.
Here are a few reasons why I recommend Bluehost:
- Ease of use: You can easily start your fashion, beauty, or lifestyle blog with my step-by-step tutorial below.
- Affordability: As a college student, I know how important it is to stretch my budget. Bluehost offers the cheapest hosting for the level of quality you get. Your only monthly expense is just $3.95/month.
- Freebie: You get a free blog domain name.
- Automatic Installation: Bluehost has been a partner of WordPress since 2005. With the launch of Bluehost’s Bluerock experience in August 2017, you now get automatic, hassle-free installation of WordPress.
- Self-hosted: You own your content. If you went with Blogger/Blogspot you don’t own your own content, Google does! If read so many horror stories of people losing years of their work after Google decided to shut them down. They woke up one day and their blog was gone. Poof! All that work.
- Oh and I have my personal experience using Bluehost to host my blog.
Now that you know why Bluehost and WordPress are the way to go, let’s get started. I moved from Blogger to WordPress less than a month ago so I’ll be walking you through the steps I used to get my fashion blog transferred from Blogger/Blogspot and started on WordPress with Bluehost.
HOW TO QUICKLY START A FASHION BLOG IN 2020
1. REGISTER DOMAIN NAME + BUY HOSTING
Settling on a domain name is likely going to be the most difficult part for you. Come up with a few names just in case your first choice is already taken.
Go with something catchy, that you love, unique, and easy to remember. In the beginning, no one ever remembered my blog name!
Now that you’ve settled on a few names, the next thing you need to do is register the domain name you want to use for your WordPress blog.
You can do this through Bluehost, which makes the process very easy. You will get a FREE if you buy at least 12 months of webhosting at the same time.
- Click here to go to Bluehost then click on “Get Started Now“
- Select your preferred plan. The Basic plan is the cheapest option. The Plus plan offers better value.
For your newbie fashion blog, I recommend starting with the Basic Package of $3.95. This adds up to $71.40 per year if you choose the 12-month plan or $47.40 per year if you choose the 36-month plan.
When I moved from Blogger/Blogspot to WordPress, I went with the Plus Plan since I had been blogging for a few years and had over 330 published posts.
If you are just starting your fashion blog, the Basic Plan is a good place to start. You can always upgrade your plan at a later time.
- Type in the domain name you want into the “new domain” field. Double check to make sure you spelled it correctly. If you are moving from Blogger/Blogspot, type in your domain name into “I have a domain name”.
If you already have a domain name, you don’t get charged anything either. You can leave it at your current provider (e.g. GoDaddy) and get your hosting through Bluehost. This is what I did.
- Now complete your “account information”, “package information” and “payment information“. Confirm and click “Submit”.
Uncheck all the selected options except “Domain Privacy Protection”. This protects your information from marketers and creeps on the internet. Instead of your contact details being listed publicly, they’ll see Bluehost’s information.
- Next, choose a password for your account
CONNECT DOMAIN & HOSTING (for domains NOT purchased on Bluehost)
For those of us who purchased our domain name through GoDaddy, we need to connect our domain name on GoDaddy with our hosting account on Bluehost.
- Login to your GoDaddy account
- Click on Manage next to Domains
- Choose the domain you want to connect to Bluehost. Select “Manage DNS“
- Click “Change” under “Nameservers”
- Select “Choose your new nameserver type” and select “Custom”
- Enter your Bluehost nameservers and click “Save”. Your Bluehost nameservers should be close to this -> ns1.BlueHost.com and ns1.BlueHost.com
- Now login to Bluehost > click on Domains > select Assign and follow the onscreen instructions. It takes about 4 hours for the nameserver transfer from GoDaddy to Bluehost to complete. While the transfer is initiating, you can install WordPress (step 3).
2. AUTOMATIC WORDPRESS INSTALLATION
Now that you have finished setting up your domain name and hosting, sit back and let Bluehost automatically install WordPress for you. How exciting!
- Click on “Start Building” and follow the prompts below.
- Launch your site!
And you’re done! You have just created a fashion blog in 2020 [high five!].
3. INSTALL YOUR DREAM THEME
The theme is the layout of your blog i.e. the way you blog looks when visits navigate to your site. You can choose a free WordPress theme, buy one, or hire a web designer. A few places you can purchase affordable themes include Etsy (where I bought mine), Creative Market, and Studio Press.
A few things to consider when purchasing a theme is to buy one that has a responsive layout. A responsive theme adjusts to different screen sizes. It automatically modifies your blog layout for optimal viewing on desktop, tablets, and mobile.
To install a free theme: Login to WordPress, then go to Appearance > click on Themes > then Install Themes to look for a theme you like.
To install a theme you purchased: Login to WordPress, then select Appearance > Themes > click on Add New > Upload to install a zipped copy of your theme
MIGRATE YOUR BLOGGER BLOG TO WORDPRESS (for those moving from blogspot)
You can easily transfer your posts and comments from Blogger/Blogspot to WordPress. To do this:
- Login to WordPress
- Click on Tools > then Import
- Select “Blogger” to import your posts, comments, and categories (pages don’t get imported)
This may take a few minutes to a few hours depending on how large your content is. I had over 330 photo-heavy, published blog posts on my Blogger blog when I moved to WordPress.
The fear of suddenly losing all my traffic scared me. So I hired a professional designer to migrate my content to WordPress.
If you have less than 75 posts, you can probably easily migrate your content on your own. Definitely backup your Blogger blog before you start the migration just in case things don’t go as planned. When you start approaching 150 to 200 posts, it’s probably best that you hire someone.
I had a great experience with the person I chose. I will be happy to refer you to her if you need someone to help you migrate your content.
CREATE YOUR FIRST BLOG POST
Now the fun begins! To create your first WordPress post, head over to “Post” then click “Add New”. Start creating epic content on your badass fashion blog.
Share your blog with your family and friends to drive traffic back to your world 🙂
I don’t want you to go through this process alone especially if you’re doing this all by yourself. So I created a free email course to walk you through the entire process in under 5 days. CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP (it’s free!).
Here are some fashion and blogging-related posts that you may like:
- The Best Photography Gadgets for Blogging
- How to Drive Traffic to Your Blog with Pinterest and Tailwind
- How to Make Money Blogging: 8 Ways to Monetize your Blog