This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my disclosure for details.
After years of blogging with a regular email address ([email protected]), I finally decided that I needed to take my blog seriously and invest in my own professional email address (for example, [email protected]).
I honestly thought the process was going to be too complex and that it would be expensive. I.WAS.WRONG. It only costs $5 per month, really easy to do (see below), and you can save 20% per month on your first year.
A few years ago, Google offered Gmail with your own custom domain for free but they have since scrapped that program. Only those people who had an account were grandfathered in. However, they only get 15GB of storage similar to a free @gmail.com while new paying accounts get 30GB of storage and a suite of amazing tools.
WHY SET UP A PROFESSIONAL EMAIL ADDRESS?
- A custom email address looks more professional. As a blogger, you are likely to be taken more seriously when you are pitching yourself to brands. If you believe going self-hosted from a yourblogname.wordpress.com to yourblogname.com as a step up, getting a custom domain email is a step up from a regular email. At the end of the day, you’re trying to promote your blog/brand, not an email service.
- It is true that most hosting providers allow you to create an email address for free. The problem is that it is less-than-appealing and can sometimes be a headache to use. It makes sense to let email service providers take care of your email because that’s what they are good at. If you let your web host handle your email, you face the fear of losing everything if you move to a different web host. That’s just too much control to give them.
- You’ve often heard that your email list is where the money’s at. Guess what? If you plan on building your subscriber list and sending out a newsletter, you’re going to need your professional email address. In an effort to curb spammers, all newsletter platforms like Mailchimp and ConvertKit are now required to have your professional email address ([email protected]) on file.
- Oh, if you work with a lot of brands and influencer network, they often send out surveys that require you to sign into Gmail in order to access them.
With a domain name email from Google, you get the same spectacular interface of Gmail and much more. You get G Suite, formerly called Google Apps for Work. No need spending valuable time learning a new platform.
Gmail on G Suite is super easy to set up, use and manage, so you can focus on what really matters. Some other benefits you get from G Suite include file storage, video meetings, file sharing, online calendars, and document editing.
HOW TO SETUP YOUR DOMAIN NAME EMAIL ON GMAIL
- At this point, you may already own your domain name for your blog/website. Bluehost, my hosting provider gives you your domain name for free when you buy hosting from them.
- Next, head over to G Suite right here and click “Start Free Trial”.
- Enter your information and follow the simple 3-step process to create your account.
- Select one of the options.
- Now create a username and password for your G Suite account. This is the information you will use to sign into G Suite to manage your account. Click “Accept and sign up” if you agree to the terms.
- You will be taken to the G Suite setup wizard in your Google Admin console where you’ll need to verify that you own your domain name. This is required before you can start using G Suite with your blog domain. The wizard will provide exact instructions depending on your host. If you run into issues or get lost, simply contact G Suite Assist advisors for help.
- Once verification is complete, you can set up additional user accounts like [email protected] or [email protected] if you want. It costs $5/user/month.
- Lastly, activate the services you want each user to have like Google Calendar, Drive, and Sites. You’re all set. See, I told you it was easy! #HappyDance
I had some issues verifying my domain. What can I say? I’m not very tech-savvy. The support team was super helpful. They did a Google Hangout video call with me on the same day! And mind you, I was still on my free trial so they really could have cared less but they went above and beyond.
BENEFITS OF YOUR PROFESSIONAL EMAIL ON GMAIL
- Business email for your domain ([email protected])
- Quick access from any location or device
- Enterprise-level management tools – Your data always belongs to you, and it goes with you if you switch solutions.
- Free 14-day trial then pay $5/month (save 20% off your first year)
- 24/7 dedicated support
Got questions about how to setup your professional email with Gmail? Leave a comment below or reach out to their Assist advisors. I may not be as good as the Assist advisors but I’m good at hooking you up with 20% off G Suite here.
Get a professional email address that you’re proud off and save 20% off for 1 year HERE. I’ll even send your unique code within a few hours 🙂
Interested in more blogging-related posts? Check out these popular posts:
- How to start a fashion blog
- The best photography gadgets for blogging
- 33 ways to drive massive traffic to your blog from Pinterest
Take this FREE course and launch a kick-ass fashion blog in less than 5 days. Plus get updates on blogging resources specifically for fashion bloggers.