This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my disclosure for details.
You’ve probably heard a lot about Pinterest and how powerful it can be. But if you are like me, you’ve gotten on Pinterest and instantly felt overwhelmed and confused about where to start.
For starters, Pinterest is a visual search engine rather than a social network, as most people believe. I’ve had my Pinterest account for at least a few years.
I honestly do not remember when I created my Pinterest profile. However, what I do remember is that I left it abandoned because I had no clue what to do or how to get started.
Four years after starting my blog, I was getting frustrated. I desperately needed something to work. I literally went into full beast mode. I had to make the blog work.
So, I tried a bunch of things. Facebook? ✅ Twitter? ✅ Instagram? ✅ Tumblr? ✅ Reddit? ✅ Yes, I tried them all. I went full circle back to Pinterest. In 12 months, I grew my Pinterest account to 25,000+ followers.
I shared all about the 33 ways I used Pinterest to skyrocket my blog traffic a few months ago. It’s packed full with a lot of strategies I learned and paid for (yes, nothing good comes free these days!). In this post, I want to focus on a hidden Pinterest jewel.
You see, through endless search, implementation and re-strategizing, I discovered Tailwind. If you’re new to Tailwind, take some time to read this post on some of the killer features on Tailwind that were a game-changer for me.
So what is this hidden jewel, you ask?
Well, the secret is out. Tailwind Tribes.
I had been using Tailwind for a while and randomly heard about Tailwind Tribes. At the time, it was a hidden feature that was by invitation-only. The Tribe button only appeared on your dashboard when you received and accepted an invitation to join Tailwind Tribe.
I wanted in on the action ASAP.
Someone was kind enough to invite me to their tribe. From there, I created a Tailwind Tribe for Female Fashion & Beauty Bloggers. That little tribe of niche-focused bloggers has grown to over
400 1,000 members.
So what’s the big deal?
Tribe totally changed the game (traffic and revenue) for me. As I write this post, pins from that one Tribe has been shared gotten over 49,339 repins and 141,952,051 potential impressions on Pinterest!
Today, the folks at Tailwind did something crazy (in a good way).
Until today, Tribes has been available by invitation only, but now, with the public launch of Tribes, anyone can use it.
As Sara Barnes, blogger at Taming Twins, put it, “Tailwind Tribes are one of the best things to happen to bloggers in a long time.”
With the public launch of Tribes, there have been some changes, improvements and upgrades. Yes, Tribes is still Free.
What is Tailwind Tribes?
- It is a collaborative curation platform used primarily by bloggers, influencers, makers and small business marketers.
- Collaborative marketing is central to Tribes. By working together Tribemates can curate useful feeds of content in various niches while also helping their own content be seen by influencers who reach audiences that are relevant to them.
- Tailwind Tribes has useful features that enable collaboration and that alternatives like spreadsheets and Facebook share groups lack. These features include clear Tribe rules and transparent activity scores so that Tribe admins can see who is contributing to the Tribe.
- In addition to the many public Tribes available, Tribes can be set to private. There are many successful private invite-only Tribes.
- Successful Tribes comes in all sorts of sizes. Some of the most successful Tribes are massive with hundreds of members. However small Tribes with just a handful of powerful influencers can be equally as effective – especially if the influencers are strong in the same niche.
Tailwind Tribes Pricing: How much does Tribes Cost?
- The free plan of Tribes allows access to 5 Tribes and the submission of 30 pieces of content a month.
- Members who want more than what the free plan offers can add Tribes PowerUps starting at just $5 per month ($59/year).
- To date, there is no Enterprise version of Tailwind Tribes for large brands. Access is restricted to influencers, makers, bloggers, and marketers within startups or small businesses.
|Tribes PowerUp Pricing|
|Plan||Paid Annually||Paid Monthly||Monthly Posts||Tribe Membership|
*Pricing current as of 11/2018. For up-to-date pricing, go here!
So, the answer to the question, “Can you use tailwind tribes for free?” is, heck yeah! The good thing is that there are a plethora of Tailwind tribes for bloggers.
Who are Tailwind?
- Tailwind was formed in 2013; the Tailwind product entered private beta in 2014 and launched publicly in early 2015.
- Tailwind’s offices are in New York City and in Oklahoma City, OK.
- Tailwind Co-founder / CEO Danny Maloney is an alumnus of Google, YouTube, and AOL. Co-founder / Head of Product Alex Topiler is an alumnus of Bank of America / Merrill Lynch.
- Tailwind has over 150,000 member brands.
- Tailwind members span over 500 industries in over 150 countries.
- Tailwind have grown aggressively.
- Tailwind have been an official Pinterest Marketing Partner since the program’s launch in May 2015. In April 2016, Tailwind became an official Instagram Partner, badged for Community Management.
Why does being an Official Pinterest Partner matter?
- Pinterest thoroughly vets their Partners’ products, reputation with customers and business practices prior to badging them as Partners.
So, how exactly do I use Tailwind Tribes to grow my blog and revenue?
- Join a Tribe relevant to your niche (go here to discover a list of tailwind tribes)
- Create blog post and add a few pins that you want members to share to the Tribe
- Repin a few pins from other members to help each other grow, increase exposure, and drive traffic
How to add a Pin to a Tribe in Tailwind:
TO ADD A PIN TO A TRIBE FROM YOUR BLOG OR PINTEREST
- Install and enable the Tailwind Chrome extension. The Tailwind button will now show up on pinnable images. <- One-time installation
- Go to your blog, Pinterest, or the website you want to pin from. Hover over the image you want to pin or add to Tribe.
On your blog/website: The Tailwind button will appear on the bottom left corner of the image. Like this:
On Pinterest: The Tailwind button will appear at the top of the image. Like this:
3. Click on “Schedule.” Then select “Add to Tribes” to add an image to a tribe. Now members of the tribe will see your pins in the Tribe dashboard.
TO REPIN OTHER MEMBER’S CONTENT
- Head over to your Tailwind Tribes dashboard
- Once you find a pin you want to share, type in the board name(s) you want to repin that to. Then click “Add to Queue.”
And that’s it! Tailwind will automatically schedule and publish the pin at your optimized time. No need to manually publish pins.
Now you can sit back while Tailwind does the heavy work for you.
This is just one of the many amazing features available on Tailwind. If you’re on the edge about getting a paid Tailwind subscription, I say go for it! They offer a free trial as well as one free month when you get the annual plan.
However, if all you’re interested in is Tribes, you can use Tribes for free without a Tailwind subscription.
Is tailwind tribes worth it?
For me, Tailwind Tribes is worth its weight in gold. Pinterest has become my #1 source of social referral right behind search engine and it is almost completely automated.
I now have more time to focus on other important areas of my blog like search engine optimization, keyword research, content creation, building my email list, and engaging with my audience.
Since 2016 when I started using Tailwind and Tailwind Tribes shortly after, my Pinterest account has grown to almost 40,000 followers!
I’d like to add that Tailwind is not a magic bullet. Content on Pinterest take about 3 months to gain traction. It has taken me well over that time to get this blog to where it is today. Patience, resilience, and tweaking are important when Pinterest is involved.
Interested in more blogging tips? Check out these popular posts:
- 10+ Reasons to Use Tailwind Today
- 33 Ways to Drive Massive Traffic to Your Blog from Pinterest
- How to Create a Newsletter & Opt-In Form for Your Blog Today
- How to Loop Pins with Tailwind SmartLoop
PIN FOR LATER!
Your turn. Drop a comment below to share plan on using Pinterest to grow your blog.
NEVER MISS A POST!
Join LPV email list to get the latest blog posts, beauty hacks, outfit tips & ideas, PLUS special sale alerts, exclusive giveaways, and behind the scenes peeks!