This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure for details.
Music festivals are not just about meeting favorite artists and fellow music lovers but also an opportunity to show off your personal style while embracing the festival season’s spirit.
One of the biggest questions is arguably what to wear to a music festival that is appropriate for the occassion.
We can all agree that wearing stylish outfits can enhance your music festival experience.
So whether this is your first time going to a music festival or you are a seasoned goer, I’ve compiled stylish music festival outfit ideas and tips to enjoy the festival right.😉
(For your information, here is the schedule of the best music festivals this year.)
Do’s and Don’ts of Music Festival Fashion
Yep, we’re not yet finished. Here are more additional tips when choosing what to wear to a music festival:
1. Prioritize Comfort
Remember that you’ll be in a large crowd, singing and dancing to your heart’s content the entire time, especially in a mosh pit, so an uncomfortable outfit should be the least of your concerns.
Dress comfortably, opt for lightweight pieces for a summer music festival, and dress in layers for music festivals in colder months.
2. Accessorize Wisely
Statement pieces are definitely welcome to add a sprinkle of pizzazz to your whole look, but be mindful not to get too carried away.
Choose one or two pieces of statement jewelry that can become the focal point of your outfit.
Opt for a chic crossbody or lightweight backpack for your music festival essentials.
For the headwear, something functional for the weather conditions but can still complement your outfit’s style.
Select footwear for festival wear that can tie your outfit together but are still comfortable to move around. Choose a stylish flat pair of sandals, cowboy boots, or chunky shoes.
3. Stay Practical
I know how overwhelming the drive of wanting to reallyyyy dress up for a music festival can get. Trust me, as someone who would even dress up for a casual errand(LOL), I understand.
With all these fashionable outfit choices for music festivals, who wouldn’t get tempted to try something bold or dramatic?
You’ll likely be moving around a lot or sitting on the ground, so wear outfits that won’t limit your movements. Here are some recommendations for you:
Loose, flowy tops allow for easy movements and great ventilation, especially during summer concert festivals.
SHOP THE LOOK
Leggings are a real lifesaver at festivals. As I’ve said, you’ll be moving a lot the entire time, and leggings are designed perfectly for that.
Tank tops are one of the most chic and practical outfits for music concert festivals. It keeps you cool and offers unrestricted arm movements for periods of time.
SHOP THE LOOK
What to Wear to a Music Festival in Warmer Months
Choose a flowy dress for the summer, such as a maxi dress, a mini dress, or a bohemian dress.
SHOP THE LOOK
SHOP THE LOOK
Wear a leather jacket or denim jacket to give extra warmth while jamming in colder months.
SHOP THE LOOK
SHOP THE LOOK
What to Wear to a Music Festival in the Rain
Is rain threatening to dampen your music festival plans and get you thinking about canceling? Nope, not so fast! You can still rock a music festival even in the rain without compromising style.
Here are two tips for you:
- Wear the elements above color-coordinated to look stylish
- Wear extra layers that you can easily take off after the weather improves
Dressing up for music festivals is really fun and exciting. It’s even more fun and exciting if you do it correctly.
What Not to Wear to a Music Festival
While it’s true that a music festival is a perfect opportunity to experiment with fashion (especially Coachella), there are a few things you need to AVOID.
- Skip heels or any uncomfortable shoes. You’ll be standing 80% of the festival, so you better not make your feet cry by wearing killer heels. Opt for stylish yet comfortable shoes, like embellished flats or chic flats sandals.
- Avoid overly tight or constrictive outfits. You cannot enjoy a music festival to the fullest if you can’t properly sing and dance the day or night away due to constrictive clothes.
- NEVER wear offensive clothes. Don’t wear clothes with inappropriate prints or accessories that may hold religious or traditional significance. Remember, you can always be fashionable without being offensive and disrespectful to others.
- Avoid going out without wearing sun protection. Especially in outdoor music festivals, always protect yourself from the UV rays. Wear sunscreen, sunglasses, and a sun hat as much as possible.
FAQ About What to Wear to a Music Festival
Should I wear jeans to a music festival?
Jeans should be fine, as long as you choose stretchable and lightweight ones to make your music fest comfortable, especially since you’ll be moving for long hours.
Can you wear a bra to a festival?
Yes, you can. A swim top is quite a trend, especially as a summer festival outfit. However, I suggest pairing it with a light cover-up or an open shirt to elevate the look.
Can I wear a hoodie to a festival?
Yes, absolutely. A hoodie is a great idea, especially for festivals at night, but opt for lighter layers to fight off the heat during the day.
Can you wear pants to a music festival?
Absolutely! Wearing lightweight and breathable pants can be perfect for music festivals. Try going for the crop top, cargo pants, leather belt, and chunky boots combo for a fashion-forward look.
A Recap on What to Wear to a Music Festival
Choosing the perfect outfit for the music festival season is definitely not easy. It could even get quite stressful at times. But that’s why I’m here!
Here’s a quick recap on what to wear to a music festival:
- Wear light and comfortable clothes, especially for summer music festivals, that are comfortable and won’t restrict your movements.
- Choose comfortable shoes, such as a fun pair of black chunky combat boots, comfortable platform shoes, or stylish ballet flats that won’t hurt your feet for long hours of standing and moving around.
- Keep track of weather updates to plan your outfits accordingly, especially for outdoor concert festivals.
- Don’t forget to wear sunscreen for UV rays protection and carry lip balms to moisturize your lips.
Keep your outfits an ultimate balance of style and functionality so you can enjoy the music fest to the fullest and with no regrets.
But really, it all comes down to what you really love wearing and feel confident with to rock the music festival. You do you, girlie!
If you enjoyed this post about what to wear to a music festival, you’d love these related blog posts: