I am sharing #Tide in my life as part of a Tide sponsored series for Socialstars™. Thank you for supporting the brands that make La Passion Voûtée possible!
Happy Sunday! Hope you had a terrific St. Patrick’s Day. As a reader of La Passion Voutee, you may already know that I love African print fabric which is known as Ankara or Wax print. If you are not familiar with Ankara, you can learn more about this gorgeous print in this blog post about my favorite African print styles. These prints are one of the most gorgeous and intricately designed fabric and they are available in a plethora of colors and patterns.
Wax print is versatile because it can be sewn into both traditional and modern styles. These fabric add pizazz to the simplest of styles. I own more than a handful of clothes made with African print. One of my favorite piece of clothing is this Ankara print bomber jacket that my sister custom-made for me.
In it’s simplest form, Ankara is made by printing patterns on 100% cotton fabric. As a result of the design process, African print fabric is delicate and need proper care to avoid losing its luster. Here are a few things to keep in mind when washing any kind of African print (including Ankara, Kente, Kitenge, and Dashiki):
- Separate African print fabric from other clothing to prevent stains
- Machine wash in cool or warm water making sure not to exceed 30ºC or 86ºF
- Use a laundry detergent that is easy on colored fabric like Tide® PODS™ Plus Downy®. Like all household products, keep out of reach of children.
- Turn off spin cycle on your washer
- Hang clothes to dry in a shaded area (preferably) or dry on cool heat. Excessive heat fades out the fabric color
- Once dry, iron clothes inside out using medium heat
This is a step by step process of how I use Tide® PODS to wash my African print clothes to maintain shine and prolong the fabric life:
- Place Tide® PODS™ Plus Downy® in the washer. Use 2 PODS for big loads
- Add wax print clothes
- Fill washer with cool water appropriate for laundry load. Tide® PODS™ Plus Downy® dissolves in all temperatures.
- Close and lock washer lid
- Turn off spin cycle and set washer to delicate if available
- Hang clothes to dry
Viola! You’re done. It is so easy to care for your Ankara clothes. Tide PODS® Plus Downy laundry detergent pacs offer the Tide clean you love, now with Downy Fabric Protect to ensure that your clothes are clean, stain free and protected every time you do laundry.
Follow these instructions so you can wear your Wax print for a long time to come. I hope you found these tips helpful. Until next time!