This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure for details.
Ever thought about the secret behind those picture-perfect engagement photos? It’s not just about the moment but also what to wear for engagement photos.
Before that once-in-a-lifetime wedding comes to life, mastering the art of the pre-wedding preparation is key.
I’m not engaged or anywhere near that stage yet, but I can relate to how exciting it is to participate in photoshoots!
As someone who likes to get her photos taken, I also understand the importance of getting all dressed and dolled up for the activity (even if it’s only taken on phones 🤣).
So whether you’re a soon-to-be bride or a fellow woman who wants to start planning her dream wedding as soon as possible, this ultimate guide will show you outfit ideas and tips on what to wear for engagement photos.
Get your pen and paper out, and keep that page scrolling!
Outfit Ideas for Men and Women for Engagement Photos
There are numerous ways to make your engagement shoot memorable and stylish. If you want your engagement photos to be romantic and unique, I suggest wearing outfits that best describe you or your relationship.
If you’re having difficulty coming up with ideas, fret not, my dearest. I’ve got you! Check out these outfit ideas I’ve prepared for you and your partner.
- Classic Suit and Tie: Choose a sleek, well-fitted suit for a formal outfit that exudes elegance and sophistication. Wear classic colors like charcoal, black, or navy blue, and pair them with a crisp white dress shirt and tie.
- Casual-Chic: If you want a casual approach to your engagement shoot, choose a tailored blazer with well-fitted trousers and a casual button-down shirt. Roll up the sleeves to exude a more relaxed vibe.
- Smart-Casual: Opt for chinos or dress pants with a polished dress shirt or a nice sweater to balance formal and casual outfits.
- Denim and Blazer: For casual cool, choose the dark denim jeans, blazer, and plain white shirt combo.
- Maxi Dress: A maxi dress can be a stunning choice. Flowy dresses flatter your figure and give you a romantic vibe.
- White Dress: A white dress is your perfect outfit for a classic and timeless look for your engagement pictures. It will help you look elegant and chic in your professional photos with your significant other.
- Wrap Dress: Choose a wrap dress for a great balance of grace and comfort. It is tied at the waist, giving your body a flattering figure, perfect for a memorable engagement session.
- Boho-Chic: If you plan to take your engagement pictures in summer, consider wearing boho-inspired outfits such as lace blouses, flowy skirts, and layered accessories. This style is perfect for a relaxed, natural approach to your summer engagement photos.
Essential Tips on What to Wear for Engagement Photos
And who says we’re done? Nope, not so fast! I know the excitement of your upcoming wedding day can overwhelm you with so much joy that you feel everything will go your way.
But honey, you must know the essential tips for your engagement outfits to enjoy the event fully. Of course, you’d want your engagement session to be fun and memorable, and I’m here to assist you with that.
1. Wear Comfortable Attire
While I understand that wanting to dress up for couple photoshoots is natural, you must also consider your comfort level.
Choose clothes and footwear you can move easily in, knowing engagement photoshoots will be full of extra movements from all the walking and posing around.
What to avoid:
- Overly revealing and skimpy clothes
- High heels (especially if the location of the shoot has uneven terrain)
2. Coordinate Outfits
Take time to choose outfits that coordinate. You don’t have to select identical colors or patterns, but consider adopting a monochromatic theme or embracing complementary color combinations to up your engagement photo outfit ideas.
Tip 1: As I’ve said, you don’t have to wear the same exact color to coordinate your outfits.
Instead, you can select a single color, feature it in just one element of your outfit, and make the rest a muted tone of that color.
3. Consider the Location
Dress appropriately with the location in mind. Match the vibe, but still keep your safety in mind. I know stilettos are cute, but that won’t do on uneven terrains, hun 🤣.
You might get outbalanced and injure yourself, so that’s a great no-no.
Tip 2: Always check the weather to plan your outfits accordingly so you’ll also know if you need to bring extra layers.
4. Choose Classic Styles
Do choose timeless, classic outfits that won’t ever go out of style for years to come. This ensures that your photos will remain looking fashionable and appealing despite how many years have gone by.
5. Layer Smartly
Layering appropriately can elevate your engagement photo outfits. It adds depth and texture to your engagement photos.
It can also help you to adjust your look if there’s a sudden change of weather. You could say it’s killing two birds with one stone.
6. Be Yourself
Consider outfits that show your style and define you and your partner. Choose attires that make you feel authentic when taking your portrait sessions.
Tip 3: Always hear your partner’s opinions as well. Communicate what you both want so you may come up with an agreement on what to wear.
7. Accessories Matter
Have you ever seen an outfit and thought it was bland until you accessorize it, and now it looks stunning? That exactly conveys why accessories matter a LOT.
I realized this quite late and wished I caught onto it sooner. It is a real game-changer, and I can attest to that!
Tip 4: Don’t overdo the accessories. Instead of just piling every accessory you could think of, only choose those that complement your outfit best.
FAQ About What to Wear for Engagement Photos
Should I wear makeup for engagement photos?
Yes, absolutely. You can go for a glam look, a natural look, or a romantic look. It depends on your setting and theme, but whichever it is, choose what makes you feel confident.
What is the best color to wear for engagement photos?
Jewel, muted, and neutral tones are popular options since they tend to photograph well. However, a pop of color is also great for a lively vibe.
What should I avoid in engagement photos?
Avoid overly skimpy clothes, wrinkled clothing, overly casual clothes, and clothes with crazy patterns. Always choose to look sleek and polished.
What colors not to wear for engagement pictures?
Avoid wearing all black or white since they can be challenging to shoot. Neon colors can also create color casts on your skin, so avoid them as much as possible.
How many outfits do you wear for engagement photos?
Couples usually opt for two outfits: a dressy one and a casual one. However, you can opt for as many as you like if you want to. This gives variety to your photos.
Top Takeaways About What to Wear for Engagement Photos
Choosing what you wear for your engagement photos can significantly impact the overall experience and outcome of the shoot itself; hence, wearing appropriate attire is important.
Here’s a quick recap to give you an overview of what to consider in your engagement session attire:
- Always be mindful of the color palette of your engagement outfits. Choose complimentary colors that will suit both of you.
- Consider the location and weather when choosing your attire, and make sure it aligns perfectly with them.
- Avoid overly revealing, uncomfortable clothes and clothes with offensive prints.
However, remember that at the end of the day, what matters most is what outfit can define you as a couple. These tips only help you be prepared and experience a comfortable and memorable engagement photo session.
Wear what you think can proudly showcase your authenticity as a couple and slay the photoshoot with your significant other!
If you enjoyed this post about what to wear for engagement photos, you’d love these related blog posts: