This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my disclosure for details.
In recent years, we have seen the influx of African print clothing in mainstream fashion. Designers like Steve Madden, Forever21, Zara and H&M classify this category of clothing as ethnic fashion. As a fashionista with deep African roots from Nigeria, West Africa, adorning these uniquely authentic pieces is almost like a second nature.
Most of my childhood Sunday service clothes were made out of Ankara fabric. Other equally breathtaking African print fabrics include Kente, Kitenge, Aso Oke, Dashiki, and Gele. The patterns and specially selected colors of these fabric hold significant meanings to the area where they originate from.
I have an immerse love and admiration for African print pieces. After moving thousands of miles away from Nigeria, my nostalgia for traditional African pieces became more intense. Luckily, I have a sister who designs, hand-makes, and occasionally mails African clothing to me like this Aso Oke fringe skirt.
I have rounded up over 50 best African print dresses and where to get them. Because these pieces are handmade, no two pieces are exactly the same. In fact, many of the designers only have a limited supply of a style in a particular fabric. Sometimes, they offer the same style in various fabric choices.
I will update this list often to replace sold out styles with newer available traditional dresses. Etsy is my go to store for beautifully crafted African print outfits. These one-of-a-kind pieces are made to order so they tend to cost more and last-longer than the typical mass-produced outfits.
Without further ado and in no particular order, here are my top 50+ best African print dresses (as well as where to get them).
*Please note: This post has been updated to remove sold out products. If you can’t find an item then it means that the product sold out.
1. Ankara Rebekah dress by Gitas Portal – I love the high-low details of this Ankara summer dress. The deep V neck and sleeveless style makes super chic and perfect this time of the year.
2. Mixed Cocktail Dress by Nasbstitches- I can’t get over the pink and yellow patterns of this super wax print. It is uber chic and vibrant. Love the blend of two seemingly different fabrics.
3. Vera Cozy Wrap Dress by Rahyma – There is so much about this maxi dress that screams chic, retro-glam. The wrap-around neckline and unique short sleeve length paired with the color punch waistline invigorates the soul!
4. The Podot~Quistt Elegant Dress by Quistt – Mommy and I? Yes please! The 50’s take on this Vlisco Dutch Java wax print dress gives dress a punch. Wear a long sleeve sweater underneath or a fitted blazer on top. So many fun wears to rock this piece. Quistt is giving us a case of baby fever!
5. Resa Long Sleeve Oversized Collar Ankara Print Spring Dress/Coat by YetundeSarumi – This Ankara print outfit double serves as a lightweight coat and a dress.
6. The Eliza Dress by Nasbstitches – Turn heads in this glamorous tulle-layered dress. Everything about this dress is so elegant. It’s all in the details.
7. African Wax Print Genuine Patchwork Midi Dress by WithFlare – I’ve always wanted a patchwork dress. But one made of colorful African print fabric and a bow is everything and then some!
8. Ankara Print Buba Dress by Boriah Clothiers – Now where do I start with this dress? The rhinestone details and the loose-fit design makes this dress perfect for a casual or dressed up occasion.
9. Ankara Midi Cape Dress by Zizibespoke – Capes have been hot for a while now. This 100% cotton African print dress with removable cape is a perfect blend of mainstream influence on ethnic wears.
10. Velvet Maxi Dress by Zizi Bespoke – This velvet maxi dress evokes royalty. It takes creativity to perfectly merge ankara and velvet together to create this one of a kind African dress. Slay as you walk, no apologies needed. #sorrynotsorry
11. Sherri High-Low Dress by Rahyma – So much sexiness in one outfit. The high-low design and the unique cut on the sleeves make it fascinating.
12. Omon Maxi Dress by Ofuure – What’s there not to love about this beautifully-crafted dress? Blue and orange go so well together and the cutout details of this dress will bring your outfit to life!
13. Mixed Print Removable Skirt Dress by Zizi Bespoke – The Ankara saga continues with this ridiculously beautiful African print midi dress perfect for special occasions. Detach the skirt for a totally different look. All about stretching the wear of your African print clothes.
14. One-Shoulder Flared Dress by Nanayah Studio – Can’t go wrong with a fit and flare dress. I love how different fabrics were combined in such a way that this dress looks like it was made from from fabric. Ingenious!
15. Puff Sleeve Maxi Dress by Zizi Bespoke – Her excitement alone would make you add this maxi dress to your cart. The one-shoulder puff sleeve action is just irresistible!
16. The Anna Dress by Demestik – This collared dress was made to perfection! Features a high neckline with pussybow necktie and flowy peplum hem.
17. Malkia Bell Dress by LiLiCreations – Obssessed with this batik and ankara African print dress. Let’s have a moment of silence for stunning piece of art! The retro-inspired pattern and boat neck makes this 1950’s dress oh so stunning. And it comes with a petticoat too!
18. Contrast Fitted Asymmetrical Dress by Nanayah Studio – Want to feel like a tall drink? This dress featuring an all over asymmetrical pattern and flattering cuts will give you the illusion of a more slender figure. Nanayah Studio never disappoints!
19. African Wax Dinner Dress by House of Izzi – African print, cut out details, peplum and flare? Yes, yes, yes!!!! I just need to find a dinner party to go to 🙂
20. Ankara Palau Maxi Dress by Chenburkettny – Nothing better than this easy to wear maxi dress and the deep v neckline and waist tie. Get your sexy on! Perfect for summer outings and special events.
21. Removable Sash Teal Dress by With Flare – This dress gives a new meaning to African print dresses. Valarie, the designer, has an eye for details. I own a few of her pieces and I can honestly say she pours her heart and soul into every piece she makes. This removable sash teal dress is no different.
22. African Mermaid Dress by Cepal African Designs – Want to wow the crowd at your next event? Throw on this tube dress if you dare!
23. Zimnandi Midi Dashiki Print Dress by Kahaari – This I can wear all
day week. I love the off-shoulder design and the full skirt.
24. Queen’s Jewel Reversible Dress by With Flare – Drooling over the insane details of this reversible dress. The patchwork detail makes this a brilliant piece of art! Swoon worthy!
25. Michelle O. Dress by LiLiCreations – This full midi dress is giving me so much life. The full bottom makes it stand out even more.
26. Ankara Sequin Midi Dress by Zizi Bespoke – Sorry, not sorry. I can’t get over the awesomeness of this mixed African print sleeved dress. The sequin detail is everything and then some.
27. Handmade Patchwork Sleeveless Maxi Dress by WithFlare – I own a few handmade pieces by With Flare and I can say that Valerie kills it every time with her patchwork pieces. The quality, design and execution of her art (yes I said that) is beyond this world. A little pricy but worth every penny! See for yourself. And his pink flow-y dress is everything and then some.
28. Patchwork Fit and Flare Maxi Dress by Nanayah Studio – I’m always in awe of Dr. Jemima’s pieces. The bold and contrasting mix of ankara fabric makes was done tastefully. You also get a subtle euphoric kick from the outfit.
29. Alice-in-wonderland dress by Gitas Portal – Sweet, edgy, playful go well with this Alice in Wonderland dress. The pleated details and tie-front bow makes it more so appealing.
30. Dashiki Maxi Dress by Zizi Bespoke – Stun the crowd in this gorgeous maxi dress. This dress will get you tons of compliments. The unique neckline and overflowing length makes it perfect for special occasions.
31. Azizi Dashiki Dress by Kahaari – This dashiki print midi dress looks so sophisticated. The colors and asymmetrical patterns is so chic.
32. High-Low Dress with Waist Belt by MyAnkaraLove – Elegant, chic, and the perfect marriage between African print and mainstream style. This dress will steal the show.
33. Kente Mermaid Evening Dress by Estherine GH – Endowed with what looks like a double cape: a small cape around the neck and voluminous flare bottom. Let’s call this the goddess dress.
34. Serengetti Doll Kitenge Dress by Gitas Portal – Go to the max with this effortless chic midi dress. Dress it up with a pair of classic pumps or down with a pair of stylish ballet flats.
35. Magnificent Reversible Patchwork One Shoulder Maxi Dress by WithFlare – Emm yes this reversible one-shoulder dress is beyond magnificent. So much love (i.e. African print) in one product.
36. The Alexina Mini Dress by Laviye – Bare those sexy legs in this ultra chic African print dress. Get ready for a fun and flirty attire featuring stylish ruffle details. Let this dress do the introductions for you 😉
37. High-Low Mermaid Dress by Dress Afrique – This asymmetrical dress is elegant and trendy. The trumpet sleeves speaks volumes and adds to the uniqueness of the attire.
38. The Cecey Wrap Dress by Yetunde Sarumi – This designer crafts some of the best contemporary African print dresses I’ve ever seen. The wrap around detail will ensure you can wear this dress for years to come. The casual yet upgraded appeal of this of dress will add grace to every step you take. P.S: This style greats the appearance of a smaller waist, snatched!
39. Mixed Print Cutout Dress by Zizi Bespoke – Not your typical African print dress. The cutout detail gives this fit and flare dress a certain je ne sais quoi that makes it irresistible. Rock this dress with a pair of stylish heel to create a winning look.
40. Nakai Ankara Print Skater Dress by Nia Joy Creations – If tube tops appeal to you, this African print midi dress with full flare bottom is made for you. It features a sweetheart neckline, boned bodice and flirty skirt.
41. Wax Print Flared Dress by Gita’s Portal – In awe of the chicness of this rather simple dress. The fit, colors, and pattern make it look preppy and sexy.
42. Ankara Mini Infinity Dress by Ofuure – Here’s another fun infinity dress in midi length. You can rock this infinity dress in 6 different ways. Talk about bang for your money!
43. Dashiki Maxi Gown by Kovered Kouture – This list cannot be complete without a beautiful kente dress. This style has been trending over the past few years.
44. Sharp Black and White Maxi Dress by With Flare – It is not every day that you seen a soft-colored African dress. This is one of the many reasons I love African prints – the endless ways a simple fabric can be transformed into an exquisite outfit.
45. The Kene Mini Dress by Ofuure – You will dazzle in this super chic puffered dress. The print and style is classic, conservative, and fashionable!
46. NuVu off shoulder dress by HouseOfIzzi – Gotta love this off shoulder dress. The ruffled peplum shoulder makes it uber chic.
47. Disco Floor Length Dress by Zizibespoke – What is there not to love about this Ankara maxi dress? The very ethnic print and off-shoulder style adds a tasteful flavor to the ensemble.
48. The Mintflower Fitted Dress by House of Izzi – This is one attractive African print dress. The soft play with African print combined with a solid fabric and exaggerated sleeves is so charming.
49. Pleated Dashiki Dress by Boutique Modest – This pretty maxi dress will make a lovely choice for those days when you want to set your heels aside but still look dressy. The style of the dress also accentuates the waistline.
50. The Igho Dress by Ofuure – Look like a damsel, walk like a damsel, slay like a damsel, be a damsel. The first word people will say when you walk in is “wow”! Can never have too many African print dresses. This dress literally blurs the line between African print and contemporary fabric. Definitely a subtle way to infuse ethnic pieces into your wardrobe.
51. The Butterfly Maxi Dress by Zizi Bespoke – This is an all-round beautiful long-sleeve maxi dress. Make a statement like no one is watching! Perfect for special occasions. stylish.
52. The Nana Lace Dress by Burgundy by PK – An impeccable mixture of African print and lace makes this long sleeve dress with gathered skirt irresistible.
53. The Evora Maxi Dress by Laviye – This fashionable long-sleeve dashiki dress will make an incredible summer/fall dress. Be bold and unapologetically beautiful in this dress.
54. The Hi-Low Jacket Dress by Nanayah Studio – This stunning hi-low patchwork jacket dress is elegant with a 50’s flare! Wear it cinched at the waist with the belted sash and let the wind beat to the music of your outfit.
Interested in more African print looks? Check out these popular posts:
- The Absolute Best African Styles
- Ankara Styles We Can’t Do Without
- 45 Fashionable African Dresses Today
- 20+ Stylish Ankara Print Ankara Jackets
- 40+ African Clothing We Love Right Now
PIN FOR LATER!
Join our Mailing List
Subscribe to get our latest content by email: Fashion, Beauty, Blogging tips & resources, Sales & discounts, and more.
Enter your name and email!